Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Cora Dyce

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cora Dyce - Your personal dicing clan

+19
Rock
Taro beast
Dogs>Cats
The Uzumaki
Rand al'Thor
Zodz
[Eth111]
Paul
Joe
Nr
KSHMR
Luke
Slash
Settle
Lord Abigor
Iamtaba
FeuerKaiser|Warriors
Phat4tw
Dump me
23 posters

Cora Prose Competition II - Community Event - Competition Thread

Slash
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Cora Prose Competition II - Community Event - Competition Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Cora Prose Competition II - Community Event - Competition Thread

Post by Slash 2015-02-28, 08:13

how is eth at 37 points for participating in 2 rounds only
    Allen1
    Allen1

Cora Prose Competition II - Community Event - Competition Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Cora Prose Competition II - Community Event - Competition Thread

Post by Allen1 2015-02-28, 08:14

brojob
    Lord Abigor
    Lord Abigor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 6

Post by Lord Abigor 2015-02-28, 09:02

lol
    Iamtaba
    Iamtaba
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Iamtaba 2015-02-28, 09:39

Lord Abigor wrote:lol

Hey, send an entry to Nr if you can Very Happy
    Nr
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr 2015-02-28, 12:15

Iamtaba wrote:is it still at 2 entries? :/

Three!
    Dogs>Cats
    Dogs>Cats
    General
    General

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 100

Post by Dogs>Cats 2015-02-28, 17:26

Nr wrote:
    Iamtaba wrote:is it still at 2 entries? :/

Three!
    taba will find a way to get fourth
    Nr
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr 2015-02-28, 22:14

Round 4 Entries

There were a total of 6 entries.

Lord Abigor wrote:
    The Planet Of Vampire

On 2102, the human race need to find another planet.The earth suffered a lack of food resources because 10 years before that happened,Joe Slashy, an artist which created millions of song using the world resources only to create his song.(Dont know why!). He disappeared 2 years later without any news,probably shot to dead by Rand the Thor(gangster).

One year later (2103), an asian guy found and discovered a new planet which is called the blue planet. He discovered that the planet has all the resources human race needed. The migration begin to transfer human from the earth to the "blue planet".During the transfer, Rand the Thor decided to stay on earth for one more year because he says he want to do something "good". The human race built a castle and live in there.

Rand came to the planet early and all of a sudden he invited his friends to go to a desert without telling a reason. Rand the Thor and his group went there. They slept at a cave middle of the desert. At night, the sky which was red colour turns blue and the desert colour turn red. Rand the Thor noticed someone watching them in the desert but he ignored it. The night past and they continue their journey.

The next night, again, Rand noticed someone at their camp, he woke up and goes there alone. Then, he was kidnapped by the vampires. Trabula, the vampires king asked Rand to travel back to earth but Rand refused and ran from the vampire castle. The vampires let him go but...

His group found Rand in the middle of desert then Rand told his friends about what happened last night. His friend told rand that Andy, one of Rand group members went missing last night and they found him half buried and his brain pale near their camp.

On their way back to their castle, they saw many bodies without brain on the route. He then found his family body and shocked. When they arrived to the castle, Trabula the Vampire King aka Joe Slashy was there.They had a negotiation about returning to earth but Rand refused and wishes to die there with his family. Joe then killed RAnd group and ate their brain.

The truth is, the asian guy knew that the planet is a planet which everyone that died being shot live with their restless soul and he planned to kill Rand all the human race for no reason. He made an agreement with Joe Slashy to transfer all the human race to the planet. Joe Slashy who shot to dead by Rand eat Rand brain and he live happily ever after even he's dead. More shocking is Rand also knew about it. During the last year of Rand at earth(as told on 2nd paragraph), he went to the asian guy office then found the conversation of the asian guy with the Vampire. He failed to save the human race when he refused Vampire the King offer.

Iamtaba wrote:PROLOGUE
    It was David's big day, the day he was to be sent into the vast, mysterious area that only a selected few had the privilege to trek; space. To most, the idea of the existence of extra-terrestrials that live on distant planets from Earth is often thought of and considered, and it was David's mission to help researchers find out whether or not aliens exist. The following is an excerpt from David's final moments with his family before blasting off to discover the unknown.

Molly (5 y.o): Daddy, don't go! *cry* What if you never return to us..
    David: Don't worry sweetheart. Daddy will be back, and he'll be back with great news for Earth.
    Molly: Ok dad, I believe in you.. tell brother Stephen I said hi, okay?
    Emily (David's wife): Daddy will definitely tell him for you, dear.

You see, Stephen was Molly's older brother. Even before Molly could count from one to ten, Stephen had been involved in a freak accident, wherein his body went entirely missing one day, and it was never found. Stephen loved the idea of aliens, as shown in his several drawings, sketches, and stories, so when he died, it became David's dream to be able to travel into space. These are the journal entries taken from David's one man journey into the hidden parts of the universe, found in a nearby riverside.

Day 1:
    Hey all, David here. Before I embark on this journey, I'd like to give a big thanks to NASA for making this all possible. I know that I may never see my beautiful family again, so I pray that they are safe and happy in the comforts of their home. Anyways, I'm here to put an end to all that E.T bullshit, and I hope to finally prove once and for all whether these exist.
    T-10 seconds to lift off. Goodbye, Earth!

Day 2:
    Things seem to be going normal and as planned. No signs of extraterrestrial life as of yet. Will keep you all updated.

Day 5:
    It's such a peaceful and serene sight to see all the stars here in the sky at once. It's a little scary considering how close I am to these huge planets though..

Day 10:
    Shit. A mouse managed to sneak into my shuttle, and it devoured almost all of my food. I have only few resources left. By the way, still no signs of any aliens even though I've traveled for quite some time now..

Day 13:
    Having terrible luck today. I got so hungry that I managed to finish all my food in one sitting, may not survive much longer.. asteroids are coming this way as I write.

Day 17:
    I think I see a distant planet.. and it appears to be made of.. food? I’m not too sure, I’ll update you as soon as I land.

Day 20:
    Shit shit shit shit shit. Definitely not food. Thousands, if not millions, of little aliens are inhabiting it. What’s truly terrifying is how they look though. No,terrifying is an understament. No matter what you’re afraid of, this should fuel your nightmares for a life-

OH FUCK, THEY’VE NOTICED ME. I GOTTA RUN, WILL UPDATE YOU LATER

Day 21:
    Writing from one of the craters, although this will only give me a few minutes. Their senses are 100x stronger than that of a human, so it’ll be soon before I have to run again. Not to mention the lack of food and sleep, it feels as if I am too drained to even stand, yet I still have the will to live and find more about these fascinating creatures.

Day 22:
    Today, I managed to skin one of them alive and wear their scent to avoid getting mauled. Although it smells absolutely horrible here, I should be thankful to just get another day of life.

Day 27:
    Sorry I haven’t updated in quite a while. I guess I was just too traumatized about what had recently happened.
    For starters, let me just get right to it and say: these things are not only human eaters, but cannibals as well. I’ve been observing them for quite some time, and at least a few times a day, I see the group eat one of their members in the most disgusting way imaginable. They mutilate them using their large claws, then begin to devour the internal organs. Once finished, they then proceed to smash their bones into little pieces and then eat that as well. What’s most disturbing though is how the alien appears to be awake the entire time, not making a cry of sharp pain at all. This disfigured alien body that I’ve been wearing for quite some time now has grown on me; literally. I can’t seem to get it off, and I fear for my life that I’m going to die soon.

Day 28:
    I guess this is where the story ends. Those freaks are already heading this way, and this time I have no escape. Let this journal be my testimony to the existence of extra terrestrials. I’ll never see my beatiful, loving family anymore… although I think I may be wrong on that one. I now notice that among the sea of thousands of identical monsters, one looks different. He is coming this way, and I hear a muffled, disfigured, yet surprisingly familiar voice coming from this creature, and I think it’s trying to say

Sorry, Dad.

Slash wrote:Life on mars was far from the understanding of an average human being. For years scientists have been studying our solar system, scrutinizing each and every planet. Mars always seemed to be the planet that had the highest possibility of supporting life for human beings. This was mainly due to the fact that they had found evidence of life on Mars in the past. Mars was covered in water millions of years ago, but as time passed the water evaporated due to the hot atmosphere of the planet.
    In the year of 2600, when the World was in chaos and desperation, a random change occurred in the solar system. The planet Mars, had somehow revolved around each of its preceding planets and ended up at the back of the line, right behind Neptune. The change was unexplainable. A group of scientists concluded by this observation that if Mars were to have reached so far back, away from the Sun, it's temperature would've decreased by an immense amount. The hot atmosphere of Mars would be sufficient enough to keep the planet's temperature stabilized, which would make a weather suitable for human beings, similar to that of Earth's!
    The Earth was at war. Resources decreasing, population increasing, lands being taken over. Mars was it's last hope. Of course no one was willing to travel to space. Most of the world was terrified, including my family and I. Even though the war wasn't going on anywhere near the city, we all were still pretty scared. War at Earth, unknown possibilities at Mars. It was a dilemma. When things couldn't get any worse a new law was enforced in over 50 countries. At the start of every month, ten families from each city would be forced to live on Mars. This rule would continue until the end of the war.

3 Months Later

*Knock, Knock, Knock.* I awoke. Still half asleep, I slipped on some shoes and headed downstairs to attend the door. *KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!* "ALRIGHT! I'm coming!" I yelled at the impatient guests. After struggling with the locks, I finally twisted the door knob open, and was shocked with disbelief. One glance at the men, dressed in their leather funky uniforms pinned with badges, I knew why they were here. If their outfits didn't give it away, their face expressions sure as hell did. We were going to Mars.
    No questions asked, we did as the officers said and found ourselves seated in a spaceship off to Mars. Due to the advancement in technology we arrived in a matter of hours. I looked through one of the circular windows, and it was just as anyone expected it to be, except not empty. Large tent-like structures were built all over the land. Before we got off we had to wear these full body outfits, that covered us up to our faces, almost like a space suit but more advanced. All the families were assigned their tents, given food, water and medical supplies. All the officers except two, who were there to keep watch on us, headed back to Earth immediately after we had settled in.
    There was nothing to do on Mars, it was either talk, eat or sleep. A few days of doing nothing productive had passed. It was day 5, and we were all getting ready for bed. It was a restless sleep, I couldn't stop thinking about Earth and my life there, the life I had to unwillingly leave behind. Maybe it's for the best I thought. Suddenly, a gleaming powerful ray interrupted my thoughts. I woke up and saw two hazy shadows behind the tent covers, along with two sources of light. The beings were shuffling around the tent as if new to the area. It couldn't have been the guards I thought, they were far from the tent and I remember them being much shorter. My heart pounding for no apparent reason, I tried waking up my siblings. It was pointless, they were all fast asleep and the heaviest sleepers I knew. I stayed under my see-through covers and watched the two foreigners scout the area for a good five minutes. They weren't leaving. In fact they were getting closer, and closer. They made their way to the entrance, and at this point my whole body was covered with sweat. Panic flooded through my mind, I didn't know what to do. I closed my eyes extremely tight as I heard the front cover of the tent lifted up. I could hear their large footsteps walking toward me. I tried not to breathe otherwise i'd give away my position. But it was too late, one of them yanked the blanket off of me, and they both stared at me. They were not humans. Two large grotesque animal like creatures stood before me almost as if they had just seen something worse than what I was seeing. They were aliens.
    I jumped off the opposite side of the bed, and onto my brother, who was sleeping on a mattress below. I slapped him awake, one quick stare at the aliens and he was on board with me. We yelled at our sister, who's bed was a few inches away from us, "GET THE HELL UP!" she was confused about what was going on, but we didn't have time to explain to her. As we forcefully got her out of bed, we looked back to see if the aliens were coming for us. They were gone. A short sigh of relief followed by a sudden realization. "MOM! DAD!", my brother took the words out of my mouth. We all sprinted across the large tent, as our bodies trembled heavily, and made our way to our parents room. Gone. We hurried back, and went out from the tent's exit, everything was gone. No tents were in sight. We walked down to where the two guards and the spaceship were situated, and sure enough, vanished. Our emotions of fear soon changed to confusion. We were stranded on Mars.

Eth111 wrote:It all starts out harmlessly with 3 NASA astronauts preparing for their first trip to mars. The date is February 27th, 2024. As routine, the astronauts undergo vigerous training in preparation for the trip. The day had finally come to fly to Mars. T minus 5..4...3...2.....1! Blastoff! Off the astronauts went. It took them a good few hours to get into space. When they arrive, they take a stop off at the new space station, due to the fact that the other one burned up and fell back to Earth. When they get supplies from the station, somethings a bit off.. their food has a strange tint. The astronauts can't agree with the tint of colors, some say its white and gold, others say it black and blue. Either way, they take the food, get back on the ship, and went back on their route to Mars. When they arrived at Mars, they begin to write their journal entries. After they are finished, an astronaut named John Basicname takes the first step onto Mars. When he's on Mars, he sees something strange... There is a UFO landed on the planet! When approching the UFO, he gows cautiously. When he views the UFO carefully, he sees a huge satalite transmitter on the top of the craft. Stepping inside, he sees 3 aliens, all of which are asleep. Panicing, he tries to leave as quickly as possible. Unfourtunatly, John Basicname didn't see the tripwire alarm, sending the spacecraftinto blaring lights and sounds. Before John could even blink, he was surrounded by all of the aliens, one of which who knocked him out. John wakes up hours later, chained up to a chair. "Where the hell am I!" he proclaimed. The alien responded "You are on the color lords spaceship number E-24." "You really shoudln't have came here, John." "How the hell do you know my name!" He exclaimed. "Along with your name, we know much, much more." "But, now isn't the time for questions." "John, do you have any recolation of a dress in 2015 that nobody could agree the color on?" "Yeah, why?" "That was our doing." "As you can see, it caused huge amounts of rage, and that rage power we have collected to power our planet destroyer." "We have finally collected enough power to destroy your puny planet called Earth." "No!" Yelled John, " It can't be!" "Oh... but it can John." "In 30 seconds, we will blow up Earth, and you will have a front-row seat." 30... 25.. 10.. 1... BOOM. The sound of a laser deafened John, and he watched in horror aa his planet, along with 8.5 billion people, are now dead. "Hahahahaha!"laughed all the aliens. "Now, John, you and your 2 other people on your ship will be stranded on this red planet.. Doomed to die along with your race!" "Hahahahhhah!!" The aliens laughes again. A few weeks later, all of the astronauts died due to laque of oxygen, ending the Human Race once, and for all. The End.

Taro Beast wrote:The door was beginning to buckle as his banging grew more intense. It would not be long before he would break through. Tears streamed down my face as I dragged the last lifeless corpse of my crew into the corner of the room. I couldn't bring myself to look at the other bodies, but I could feel their empty eyes staring at me. A grim acceptance overcame me as I looked into the chamber of my revolver. Of course it was empty.

Emma had received the last bullet. My daughter. She had been the hardest to pull the trigger on. She had been brave though, no sobbing or begging had passed her lips when it I had aimed the gun at her. She understood why I was doing it. We had to complete out mission. The vivid memory of the fragments of skull and brain erupting from the back of her head haunted me as I checked the ships course one last time. As horrible as their fate was, at least my crew had a quick death. They escaped the nightmare that was behind that door. It seemed fitting that I was the last alive. After all, a captain always goes down with his ship.

It had meant to be a landmark exploration mission. Something to put us in the history books. Be the first humans to walk on Mercury. But something happened out there, something that had made James go berserk. He completely lost control. Started uttering incoherent words and started attacking his own crewmates, his friends. We ordered him back to the ship but the moment he was back on board it was obvious he wasn’t the same man that had left. He went crazy. He killed one of our crew and hospitalised 3 others in the struggle to contain him. We had quarantined, sedated and restrained him. It had taken 10 of us to take him down but we had managed it. From there the infection had taken control of him quickly. He became agitated. Irrational. His personality became unrecognisable, just as we seemed to become unrecognisable to him. From there, things only went downhill.

I don’t know how he escaped his restraints, but when he did he showed no remorse to the rest of the crew. He started picking us off, killing us without mercy, until those of us who were still alive managed to barricade ourselves in the control room, hoping to stay safe until we came up with a way to stop him. But there had been no solutions.

That had been 3 days ago. Since then, morale had lowered to the point of mutiny. With no food and no hope we all knew there was no hope of survival for us now. So we made a decision. A suicide mission, to stop this monster from reaching Earth. We had set a course towards the sun. To burn all evidence of what happened up here. But as we neared the sun, the crew’s bravery failed them. I had to kill them to ensure our mission was successful. But now I was alone, with this monster just behind the door. I was struggling to contain the natural animal instinct to survive. To try and hide. Hiding would have just prolonged the inevitable anyway. He would find me and I would die regardless. My only option was to try and kill him with me. End all of this up here, millions of miles from Earth and civilisation.

We were close now. The heat was getting more intense with every second we got closer. The pain was excruciating. I could hear him screaming as well. The sound of desperate scratching behind the door unnerved me. The noise had gotten worse as we edged closer, like an injured animal whining, begging to be let inside. I almost felt sorry for him.

The heat was affecting the ship now. The hull was beginning to warp under the pressure and the temperature was becoming ever more insufferable. I was being burned alive. There was an almighty roar of triumph as the door caved in behind me and he charged through. But it was too late now. There was no turning back. The ship had run its course. I glanced at my daughter’s lifeless corpse once more, peaceful in her eternal sleep and I accept my imminent fate. I am ready.

Everything ended so suddenly. Just as he tackled me to the floor and began to hack at my burnt flesh, there was an almighty groan as the ships resistance failed and a gaping hole appeared in the ship’s hull, the full force of the heat hitting us both. Before either of us could let out a sound there was the brightest of lights and the most intense pain and then only darkness. Nothing.

It was over.

Meiru wrote:I woke up suddenly, my eyes snapping open. Where was I? I took a look around. I had awoke in a small bedroom. I was perched upon the bed in the corner of the room. The walls seemed metallic and rusty. A lonely desk sat next to the bed where I sat and the door was nearby. I noticed a small window on the opposite side of the room. I quickly ran up to it and looked out to figure out where I was. There was a problem: I was staring straight at the Earth. Debris all around was suspended in the air as if someone had blasted open the moon and then suddenly froze time. Then it hit me. I was on the U.S.G Ishimura, a planet cracking spaceship. I tore myself away from the window and headed to the door. It slid with slight difficulty and a gut-wrenching creaking noise, as if the ship was in disrepair for a long time. I stepped out into the hallway. The hallway was devoid of light, and the odor of rust and blood was overwhelming. This was not the Ishimura I remembered. I took my first few steps out into the hall. Remembering I had my IPhone 6 Plus in my pocket, I pulled it out in hopes of getting reception. Of course, there was none. There was no WiFi either, which was strange. Ships were required by law to have some sort of connectivity. I turned the brightness on the phone up and used it as a makeshift flashlight and flashed it to the wall. What I saw mortified me.
    Gash marks lined the walls in front of me, revealing wires and other machinations. Dried blood stained the walls. On the floor, mutilated bodies with dismembered limbs and legs spewed out crusted blood. The scent and sight was already unbearable. I quickly ran in the other direction of the hall, disgusted at what I had just seen. What had happened here? Where was the crew? Who, or what could have done this? Aliens? Many questions lingered in my mind as I traversed the hallway with horrifying sights. I came to the hallway containing the stairwell, but veered to a halt.
    A sound made me stop in my tracks. A faint scratching noise from somewhere below me. I froze in absolute terror. The scratching noise continued. It grew louder and louder. My heart was practically beating out of my chest. I began to sweat. Again, it continued. The scratching turned to thumping. My ears grew hot. Panicking, I turned off my phone, crouched down, and quickly crawled into the room next to me. The door slid open silently and I crept inside. The thumping was still crescendoing and was getting closer. Whatever was making that noise was certainly not one of the crew. The door to the room suddenly slid shut with a loud bang and made me jump. Crap! Whatever was making that noise was going to come and investigate. I was scared out of my wits. But when I listened for the noise, there was none. The room stood eerily still and silent. I only heard the blood pumping in my ears and my heart racing wildly. The whole world seemed to be holding its breath in anticipation. I waited for a minute. Two minutes. I sighed in relief when I heard nothing. I got up, turned my phone on again and opened the door. I shined my light through the entrance and my blood ran cold.
    Standing in front of the entrance was a person with charred and blackened skin. Or at least, that’s what I had assumed. Instead of arms, it had two bony appendages that looked like huge blades. Its legs were torn open; bone and muscle were visible under the skin. Its chest was also torn open with organs hanging out of it. The face of the creature was the worst part of it. Where there were eyes, there were two empty sockets as black as death. The creature’s jaw had been ripped off, leaving only one row of rotten fangs in the mouth. The thing made a noise and sprung at me who was paralyzed by fear. I screamed and sprang towards my left. The creature barreled into the wall, but quickly regained itself. I ran out of the room and screamed for help. I could hear the thing behind me racing towards me with inhuman speed. The thing crashed into me and knocked the air out of me. It pinned me down. I struggled and gazed up in helplessness as it raised its appendages, gearing to strike. I forced my eyes closed and held my breath, bracing for the inevitable.
    Suddenly, there was a noise. A gunshot or something. A moment later, the monster threw itself off of me, bellowing in pain. More noises. More screaming. Then, it was quiet. I opened my eyes and saw the creature limp on the ground in pieces. I turned around and saw a figure in what appeared to be an armored space suit with bright light blue horizontal lights shining from its face. In its hands, it held a strange tool that projected three thin lights.
    “Are you alright?” the figure said with concern. I couldn’t reply. I was dizzy and disorientated. The figure seemed to say something else, but I couldn’t hear it. My vision went black, and I passed out.
    Nr
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr 2015-02-28, 22:41

Ugh. Tl;dr ^

Anyways already deep in the past tense before the winner of round 4 and the overall table is clear, I have a few questions to the participants and anyone that's been following the thread:

* What did you think of the competition and the way it was run?
    * What did you think of the entries in overall? Which were your favourite or least favourite ones?
    * What did you think of the judging in overall? Who was the best and worst judge?
    * Would you like another competition similar to the prose competition with the purpose of keeping the forums active? This wouldn't be another prose competition, rather something lighter and easier with a similar overall concept.
    [Eth111]
    [Eth111]

Post by [Eth111] 2015-03-01, 00:43

Nr wrote:Ugh. Tl;dr ^

Anyways already deep in the past tense before the winner of round 4 and the overall table is clear, I have a few questions to the participants and anyone that's been following the thread:

* What did you think of the entries in overall? Which were your favourite or least favourite ones?
    * What did you think of the judging in overall? Who was the best and worst judge?
    * Would you like another competition similar to the prose competition with the purpose of keeping the forums active? This wouldn't be another prose competition, rather something lighter and easier with a similar overall concept.

Chess was biased
    Should have removed names of authors for no bias
    Shoudln't have judges, let community decide
    More comps like this
    Rand al'Thor
    Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor 2015-03-01, 02:56

I don't think anyone in this round who wrote about space travel did some research on how long it actually takes.

~

Abigor, just wow.
    I think yours had some really strong characterisation, especially with the main protagonist, Rand the Thor, whose conflicting emotions about whether or not to do what he did (vague cos spoilers) was conveyed brilliantly to the reader and was generally written very well. So kudos to you for that. I especially liked how thoroughly you managed to link the space setting in with the story yet at the same time still keep it so subtle. The plot, too, was complex enough to keep the reader entertained throughout and your voice is so enthralling, it is terribly difficult to stop reading your work. Your choice of vocabulary and variatio in syntax and grammatical structures also contributes really well to the rich tone of your writing. One of the best entries of the entire competition. Outstanding job, man.

Icy, nice twist with "... found in a nearby riverside" at the start of the story, implying the aliens on now on Earth... or that the narrator is an alien??? 2spooky

Slash:
    "In the year of 2600, when the World was in chaos and desperation..."
    "I think by 2050+ fossil fuels will run out, boom by 2100, universe gone"

Eth, I liked the use of the vivid/historical present.

Taro, if you don't win this, I'll kill Pants. The only gripe I have is with:
    "But something happened out there, something that had made James go berserk. He completely lost control. Started uttering incoherent words and started attacking his own crewmates, his friends. We ordered him back to the ship but the moment he was back on board it was obvious he wasn’t the same man that had left. He went crazy. He killed one of our crew and hospitalised 3 others in the struggle to contain him. We had quarantined, sedated and restrained him. It had taken 10 of us to take him down but we had managed it. From there the infection had taken control of him quickly. He became agitated. Irrational. His personality became unrecognisable, just as we seemed to become unrecognisable to him. From there, things only went downhill."

That's actually James being normal.

Otherwise, that was the best entry in the whole competition after Abigor's entry for this round. But he is on his own absurdly high level of writing and it would be unfair on Abigor, Peake, Shakespeare, Lovecraft and all other literary greats to consider his work alongside everyone else's here.

Meiru, needs more Mobile Suit Gundam. I thought all the description set the tone well but it lacked any real story-line and didn't really go anywhere. Second best after Taro (and the genius wordsmith of the English language that is Lord Abigor who is above and beyond everyone else).

Voting for Taro.

[Eth111] wrote:

Chess was biased
    Should have removed names of authors for no bias
    Shoudln't have judges, let community decide
    More comps like this
    - I wouldn't say biased. I just think his votes were off.
    - I was thinking the same thing before the event, yeah.
    - Nah. Judges are fine. The community more often than not pick the stupidest/joke entry in competitions to win.
    - Vouch
    Iamtaba
    Iamtaba
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Iamtaba 2015-03-01, 03:31

The competition and how it was run was great, I just think 5 days was too long for a deadline

Those that managed to get a higher score definitely deserved it, and overall, I think our stories can be considered semi-decent at the very least. I don't truly have a favorite here, but the ones that do make me laugh are those made by Abigor. No least favorite.

Without sucking up to anyone, I think the best judge was Nr. He gave valuable criticism and points for improvement. I don't believe any judge is biased, although some opinions are quite off.

Sure, just not an illuminati competition.
    Lord Abigor
    Lord Abigor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 6

Post by Lord Abigor 2015-03-01, 05:49

It was a great competition.
    I dont know
    Nr is the best judge
    Yes
    Slash
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash 2015-03-01, 08:39

*Pretty nicely run, except for the points system (if less entries are submitted you get less points for still making a good entry)
    *Entries were sometimes good sometimes horrendous, lord abigors in the first round was my fave
    *Judges were all over the place, but meh opinions i guess
    *Yes
    Iamtaba
    Iamtaba
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Iamtaba 2015-03-01, 11:43

lol rand is right in saying we would just vote the troll entry
    James
    James
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by James 2015-03-01, 19:38

Fuck you Rand.
    Dogs>Cats
    Dogs>Cats
    General
    General

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 100

Post by Dogs>Cats 2015-03-02, 02:18

posting my results tomorrow 
    to create drama

and suspense 

and im busy till like 4 est
    Nr
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr 2015-03-02, 16:44

Ta for the feedback.

Eth: I'd say the judging system belonged in its spot as we can see from the public votes. There were very few of them and some of them were just votes for the trollest entry. A system to ensure some kind of quality in the point distribution was necessary.

Rand: Actually there's no public vote for Round 4.

Slash: The point system is a good topic to discuss. Yeah, you can get a low amount of points for a really good story depending on the number of entries, but it's always scaled and the points are about what you're up against. The higher the place based on the amount of entries the more points you technically deserve. That means your opponent can't get 10 points in a round with 4 people to tie your 10 points in a round where you were vsing 10 people. There are pros and cons, but I'd say this system is fairer than you think.

I'll kick the round 4 votes off with mine. I suppose we should know the winner in ~24h.

1 point - Lord Abigor - Some fun light nonsense as usual with your entries. And as usual with my points, as much as I love reading these, I can't give them decent points as they all look like they were thrown together in 2 minutes and there's no logical cohesion in the story or the prose.

2 points - Eth - Ugh. That dress is EVERYWHERE! A few instances of Lord Abigor pacing in here. "They arrived at the new station because, oh, the last one burned up and fell to Earth". The premise is fun, but there's no horror and the handling of the story is boring.

3 points - Iamtaba - Gapping lack of logic in the entire foundation of space and space exploration missions ft. a rat that stayed alive in a spaceship for 10 days and ate all the food -- and... a planet made of food among other idiocy. Ayy lmao. Nonsense, kind of funny. I'll give you the 3 for pulling off a decent spoof and not being exactly distant from the horror angle, but winning this round with it isn't going to happen.

4 points - Slash - I think you could have done a lot better than an implausible random change occuring in the universe. I wasn't convinced in the explanations and motivations presented in your world. A lot of things could have done with going over or explained more for the sake of logic like the population increasing during the war for example. Could have used a proofread, usage of she for the brother is one part. The ending is creepy, but doesn't really fit in the story either imo. There are still quite a few positive things to bring out such as the description of the big knock on the door moment, the description of monotonous life on Mars and a good attempt at centering the story around space. Decent effort, but not really there.

5 points - Meiru - A lot of fancy description and raised questions without answers, a fatal overdose of ambiguity and barely any story. Tl;dr: Some person wakes up with no knowledge of what's going on around them, attacked by some other creature, saved by some other person and then passes out. This didn't read as a short story, it read as a fraction of something bigger. Should have used the area for the technically superfluous parts of description to tighten the story. The quality of the description may have been excellent and I'd very well be interested in reading the continuation, but storywise for a short story competition -- what was the point? There wasn't much of a reason for the story to take place in space either... apart from the alien. Deciding between 4/5 was difficult for me, I'm going to give you the 5 by a small advantage because even with the lack of story, my eyes didn't stop to notice all the flaws as they did with Slash's.

6 points - Taro Beast - Excellent work! Great usage of the space topic, not too long, not too short, scary, emotional and tells a surprisingly deep short story. I have nothing remotely negative to bring out. My favourite entry in the entire competition and you're already the overall winner in my books. Can't see it going any other way in reality either now.

Some people have already supported the idea of a similar competition to keep the forums kicking on the thread and in PM. I'll have 50m of random money left that we could use for it. Any idea what that competition should be?

Last edited by Nr on 2015-03-02, 17:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A few changes in wording.)
    Slash
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash 2015-03-02, 17:19

i vote taro, nice story mann
    good read
    Nr
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr 2015-03-02, 17:23

Slash wrote:i vote taro, nice story mann
    good read

There's no public vote for Round 4

There's no public vote for Round 4.

There's no public  vote for Round 4.

Taro beast
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Post by Taro beast 2015-03-02, 18:12

Nr wrote:
    good read

Haha that post made me laugh. And thanks Slash, despite its irrelevance it was appreciated Smile
    Joe
    Joe
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Joe 2015-03-02, 18:18

Nr wrote:
    good read

nice meme.
    Allen1
    Allen1

Post by Allen1 2015-03-02, 19:49

I honestly love Nr. He puts a genuine attempt to keep this community alive, UNLIKE zodz...who steals from charity...
    Joe
    Joe
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Joe 2015-03-02, 20:16

Allen1 wrote:I honestly love Nr. He puts a genuine attempt to keep this community alive, UNLIKE zodz...who steals from charity...

zodz makes me sick.
    Rand al'Thor
    Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor 2015-03-02, 22:28

Changing my vote to James.
    Slash
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash 2015-03-03, 08:55

I vote taro for the public vote.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 19:04