Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Cora Dyce

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cora Dyce - Your personal dicing clan

+6
Rand al'Thor
CM
Tom's Slave
Cannons
Jon
Frosty
10 posters

LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!

Frosty
    Frosty

LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP! Empty LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!

Post by Frosty 2013-11-19, 23:14

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited by Frosty on 2013-11-20, 02:38; edited 4 times in total
    Jon
    Jon
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP! Empty Re: LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!

Post by Jon 2013-11-19, 23:14

Didn't they lose?
    Frosty
    Frosty

LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP! Empty Re: LOL FRANCE (ARE) GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!

Post by Frosty 2013-11-19, 23:19

Jon wrote:Didn't they lose?
    They were 2-0 down in the first leg, they won 3-0 in the second, winning 3-2 overall.

They also got lucky 2nd goal was offside.

Typical France always going through with controversial bullshit.
    Cannons

Post by Cannons 2013-11-19, 23:20

France is going to the world cup
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-19, 23:28

Idea 
    Cannons wrote:France is going to the world cup
    FUUUUUU
    Jon
    Jon
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Jon 2013-11-19, 23:33

Frosty wrote:Idea 
    FUUUUUU
    I think "are" would be correct in this context because it's referring to a team of multiple people hence the plural. Maybe? "Is" would suggest he was talking about the country as a whole and the entire country clearly isn't going to the world cup Wink
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-19, 23:41

Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    I think "are" would be correct in this context because it's referring to a team of multiple people hence the plural. Maybe? "Is" would suggest he was talking about the country as a whole and the entire country clearly isn't going to the world cup Wink
    I'm with Jon, die cannons.
    Cannons

Post by Cannons 2013-11-19, 23:54

Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-20, 00:31

Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Tom's Slave
    Tom's Slave
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Tom's Slave 2013-11-20, 00:42

Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.
    Cannons

Post by Cannons 2013-11-20, 00:50

Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.
    Do they take the writing SAT in the UK o.O?
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-20, 00:57

Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.
    Nope.
    CM
    CM
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Post by CM 2013-11-20, 01:41

Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    How in the world did you come up with that argument and how does it make any sense to say:
    "France are going to the World Cup."

Let me include some other countries and see if it makes any sense.
    America are going to the World Cup.
    Germany are going to the World Cup.
    Italy are going to the World Cup.

No.

France is* going to the World Cup.
    America is* going to the World Cup.
    Germany is* going to the World Cup.
    Italy is* going to the World Cup.
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-20, 02:06

CM wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    How in the world did you come up with that argument and how does it make any sense to say:

No.

no.....
    Tom's Slave
    Tom's Slave
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Tom's Slave 2013-11-20, 02:08

Frosty wrote:
    CM wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU

No.

no.....
    Mmm.
    Hmm..
    Mhm Mhm.
    I'm going to have to retract my comment. Looks like Luke is correct here. Sorry.
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-20, 02:10

Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    CM wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU

No.

no.....
    Mmm.
    Hmm..
    Mhm Mhm.
    I'm going to have to retract my comment. Looks like Luke is correct here. Sorry.
    I'm wrong......Need to find somewhere to hide.....
    Rand al'Thor
    Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor 2013-11-20, 02:23

Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.
    Lol, we actually have exams called SATs that are taken in Year 6 (the year before secondary education). Razz

~

You can use either depending on the context. As Jon has said, Luke was referring to the French team as individuals who will win the World Cup. The plural is fine here as he's using notional concord (which is more common in British English). Take the United States for example; it is clearly in the plural yet is almost exclusively referred to in the singular, even in the US, e.g. in this article: click. Nor have I read/heard many people, British or not, use 'none (...) is' etc. despite none being a singular noun. Grammatically, none should take the singular... idiomatically, it is usually governed by a plural verb.

So... the singular or plural can be used depending on the meaning of what is being said/what is being implied.

Anyway, I should have watched the France match instead of England losing to Germany, lmao.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    Frosty
    Frosty

Post by Frosty 2013-11-20, 02:38

Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.
    Lol, we actually have exams called SATs that are taken in Year 6 (the year before secondary education). Razz

~

You can use either depending on the context. As Jon has said, Luke was referring to the French team as individuals who will win the World Cup. The plural is fine here as he's using notional concord (which is more common in British English). Take the United States for example; it is clearly in the plural yet is almost exclusively referred to in the singular, even in the US, e.g. in this article: click. Nor have I read/heard many people, British or not, use 'none (...) is' etc. despite none being a singular noun. Grammatically, none should take the singular... idiomatically, it is usually governed by a plural verb.

So... the singular or plural can be used depending on the meaning of what is being said/what is being implied.

Anyway, I should have watched the France match instead of England losing to Germany, lmao.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    I was right.....See!
    CM
    CM
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Post by CM 2013-11-20, 02:48

Frosty wrote:
    Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.

~

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    I was right.....See!
    Luke are right.
    Paul
    Paul
    Recruit
    Recruit

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 69

Post by Paul 2013-11-20, 03:14

Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.

~

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    It sounds much better with is. Surprised
    But you could say "The French ARE going to the World Cup!"
    Daft Punk
    Daft Punk
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Daft Punk 2013-11-20, 03:33

Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    CM wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU

No.

no.....
    Mmm.
    Hmm..
    Mhm Mhm.
    lol!
    CM
    CM
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Post by CM 2013-11-20, 03:38

Daft Punk wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    CM wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU

No.

no.....
    Mmm.
    Hmm..
    Mhm Mhm.
    lol!
    Host since when?!
    Cannons

Post by Cannons 2013-11-20, 03:43

LetMeSkull wrote:
    Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.

~

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    It sounds much better with is. Surprised
    But you could say "The French ARE going to the World Cup!"
    ^ Pretty much
    Moe
    Moe
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Moe 2013-11-20, 13:52

CM wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Tom's Slave wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Cannons wrote:
    Jon wrote:
    FUUUUUU
    No....
    Yes....
    Lmao. No.

Cannon is right.

~

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
    I was right.....See!
    Luke are right.
    Lukes are right* since it's a group of people! Wink
    Jon
    Jon
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Jon 2013-11-20, 22:04

When Rand agrees with you, you know you're right.

Laughing <- Smug face

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-27, 14:51