Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Cora Dyce

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cora Dyce - Your personal dicing clan

+9
Daft Punk
Phat4tw
*nat4334*
James
FrogBrah|29n
struggler0
Conn - U8V
OIO
Spoof
13 posters

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved]

Spoof
    Spoof
    VIP
    VIP

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved] Empty [IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved]

Post by Spoof 2012-04-15, 22:57

Introduction

As many of you have known, about 50% of all scam reports, whether on the Cora Dyce Forums or in Rs, are about Imposters. There are many scams out there, most are very tricky and depend on if you are observant or not. I will give out the many scams of Cora Dyce, and be aware of them because they happen all the time.

The Lending Scam

This scam involves an imposter who takes on a name close to a current host's name. We see from previous reports that there were many names such as: "O1O, Sypher-PK, Xine-, CoraDyce-, DraconMp" and more.

The way the scam works is they will private message you so no one else knows about it. They may ask you: "Hey, I like your dicing today. Unfortunately I got cleaned. Could you lend me some cash so I could go back betting while I host? Thanks!" Right off the bat your first instinct is: "Sure I'll lend because it will look good on my host application!" Afterwards, the imposter will say for you to give it to the imposter's account, saying it would player kill with it and give you back the cash + 10% interest. Obviously this sounds like a good idea: Not only do you get a vouch, supposedly, on your host application, but you could turn 5m into 5.5m! Afterwards, you will most likely trade the imposter the cash, and the imposter logs with you walking away cleaned.

To prevent this, there is one possible way, and is the one part that almost no one checks for. Many of us do not bother looking at the "Away" section. The imposter has a name that looks almost exactly to the naked eye. However, lucky for them, they are in the "Away" section where no one looks. The imposter will private message you, so that means they will not go into the "Chatting" section above. To prevent this scam from ever happening to you, go to the "Away" section and look for the exact name. 100% you will find it there, and try looking for half a golden star, a full golden star, a gold key, or a house. If you find the name and it comes from the one with the half-op/full op/ key/ house, it is probably a real host. You can also private message the host via Rs to confirm that he or she is asking for the lend.

Remember, it is said by many people that host will not ask you for a lend via IRC, so don't trust any of the private messages by imposters.

The Trading Scam

This is probably one of the most obvious scams in Rs and Cora Dyce, yet many people are still scammed. This scam involves players to either make new accounts, usually level 3-5, or change their name with a higher leveled account.

The way this scam works is a exact copy of a current host shows up. He or she would make an account and name it similar to a current host. He or she would walk by, say "10m Wager @ [Host Name]!" Most people, who run on automatic while dicing, immediately call the wager because they would like to call it before anyone else does. They trade the host, and, without thinking, accept to the second trade window. What they don't see is a slight difference between the real host and the imposter, such as "SLOPPPY or Sypher P K." They will trade the host, and immediately go to the IRC. Eventually, after around 5 seconds, they go back to the Rs page to see that the imposter scammed and logged, leaving them behind with a cleaned cash pile.

To prevent this scam is to first look at the Friends Chat. First trade him or her, and then look if he or she has a rank in the Friends Chat. If he or she doesn't, just close the trade window and say that you made a mistake and thought you meant "500k Wager" instead of the "5000k Wager." Always check for a rank before accepting to prevent being scammed.

The Cora Dyce Hosting Fees Scam

This involves an imposter making a name in the IRC that has the exact/close name to one of Andy's accounts. Many ones are: "Cora-Dyce, Sensitive-PK, _Paradyce_" and so on. They will say you were accepted and must pay hosting fees. Note that this is only given to dicers that they observe as frequent dicers or rich dicers.

How it works is very simple. An imposter makes up a name close to Andy's accounts. They are very tricky, and must take time to consider. The initial response for all members is to go like: "Hell yeah, baby!" and pay the hosting fees. What they do not know is that usually the "Cora Dyce" is really another imposter hiding in the "Idlers" or "Away" section. They would trade 100m to the imposter and the imposter walks off with a beautiful green mask.

This is easily prevented, yet many fall for the trick. Again the idea is to check for a half-op, op, key, or a house next to their name. Because it is Andy's account, it has either a full-op/Full Star, a Key, or a house. If the account you see does not have any of the above, ignore the private message. You can also private message the host via Rs.

The End

I believe this wraps up almost all of the possible scams in Cora Dyce. Take time to read this, and hopefully you won't get scammed!

Last edited by Spoof/Spoof101Prod on 2012-04-19, 20:09; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating the Scams)

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved] Empty Re: [IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved]

Post by Guest 2012-04-15, 23:49

you forgot the accepted as a host impostering, sensitive-pk, almost fell for that one.
    Spoof
    Spoof
    VIP
    VIP

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved] Empty Re: [IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved]

Post by Spoof 2012-04-15, 23:55

Thank you, will be updated.
    OIO
    OIO
    Highroller
    Highroller

Post by OIO 2012-04-17, 06:40

Answer - just say NO!
    Joking nice details, it should help some people out.
    Conn - U8V
    Conn - U8V

Post by Conn - U8V 2012-04-17, 11:06

Honestly, I see a lot of People that aren't Dumb, that Fall for this..

Yeah, I get the Cora Dyce one a lot lol!

Thanks Spoof
    struggler0
    struggler0
    Admin
    Admin

Post by struggler0 2012-04-17, 13:39

Good one !
    FrogBrah|29n

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved] Empty My trick

Post by FrogBrah|29n 2012-04-17, 13:46

I just ask them to bring their main accout they usually say "trade my skiller". Being an active dicer like me, this happens all the time.
    James
    James
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by James 2012-04-17, 16:04

Nice thread.
    Conn - U8V
    Conn - U8V

Post by Conn - U8V 2012-04-17, 17:41

Spoof, change the Title, makes it Look bad to us..

Make the Title more like "The Impostors of Cora Dyce"
    *nat4334*

Post by *nat4334* 2012-04-17, 23:41

struggler0 wrote:Good one !
    Spoof
    Spoof
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Spoof 2012-04-18, 01:16

nat_4334 wrote:
    struggler0 wrote:Good one !

Woot! Struggler Support! Smile
    Conn - U8V
    Conn - U8V

Post by Conn - U8V 2012-04-19, 02:10

We should move this Thread under every one of the Categories, just so Everyone knows! Smile
    Phat4tw
    Phat4tw
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post by Phat4tw 2012-04-19, 10:15

Rule of thumb: Dont be a flying koo-k.
    Daft Punk
    Daft Punk
    VIP
    VIP

[IRC] Be Aware of Imposters ---How to Prevent Getting Scammed--- [Administrator, Hosts, Member Approved] Empty Great Thread

Post by Daft Punk 2012-04-19, 12:19

Great Thread Spoof Smile
    Pompovaz
    Pompovaz
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Pompovaz 2012-04-19, 17:46

I'll take this and post it in a topic I did few weeks ago; adding credits for it. Nice guide.
    http://www.coradyce.com/t11626-avoid-getting-scammed-read#145367
    Taro beast
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Post by Taro beast 2012-04-19, 17:59

Great idea to write this...the amount of imposters seems to grow all the time. Hate to admit it but when I first started dicing I fell for it twice Razz
    Spoof
    Spoof
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Spoof 2012-04-19, 20:08

Thank you guys for your support! Tell me if you find any other scams, would help many people.
    Tyqa
    Tyqa

Post by Tyqa 2012-04-20, 02:15

Good tips :DD
    Dubiously
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Dubiously 2012-04-20, 03:33

Nice guide, I'm going to make a similar thread with all of the scams I can think of and a moderator can probably merge the two.
    Spoof
    Spoof
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Spoof 2012-04-20, 03:36

Dubiously wrote:Nice guide, I'm going to make a similar thread with all of the scams I can think of and a moderator can probably merge the two.

Good luck, this was sticky in IRC Support, so no need to post it here in General Support.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 09:38