Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Cora Dyce

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cora Dyce - Your personal dicing clan

+6
InfernoDutch
Allen's Slave
Veny
Sponge
Understand
Sanne
10 posters

Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works?

Sanne
    Sanne
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works? Empty Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works?

Post by Sanne 2013-05-13, 19:47

Can someone explain it to me, i have no clue how it works over there.
    Starting from highschool, using year numbers please.

Understand
    Understand

Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works? Empty Re: Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works?

Post by Understand 2013-05-13, 20:01

Ok starting from high school..

4 years in high school.
    After high school, it depends on what you study, but most plans /careers require you to take 4 years of college. Some even study 8-10 years (doctors, pilots, etc.)

After college you get a job.
    Sanne
    Sanne
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works? Empty Re: Could someone fully explain to me how the American educational system works?

Post by Sanne 2013-05-13, 20:10

^ ye im not that dumb lol, but how does it works with grades etc / What makes you go to university or a lower course.
    Sponge
    Sponge
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Sponge 2013-05-13, 20:14

well in canada

its elementary which is 1-7

then highschool 8-12

thats it

but in 'murica

there is middle school idk anything about
    Understand
    Understand

Post by Understand 2013-05-13, 20:31

Sanne wrote:^ ye im not that dumb lol, but how does it works with grades etc / What makes you go to university or a lower course.

Sorry I had to write that in a rush. I'll go into more depth now.

Grading system: 0-100 points.
    0-59 = A failing grade.
    60-69 = D (still a failing grade)
    70-79 = C
    80-89 = B
    90-100 = A

What makes you go to university? You just have to pass high school which means to get atleast 28 high school credits along with required courses to move on to College/University. Required classes to move on to a higher education after high school is for example: Health and Speech.

Your GPA: Your GPA is extremely important when you move on to college or get a job.
    GPA = Grade Point Average.
    GPA goes by a 4-point scale.
    A=4
    B=3
    C=2
    D=1
    F=0

For example say I have a report card with an A, B, C, C, A. That's 4+3+2+2+4 which equals 15. We then divide that by how many grades you had so we divide by 5 which equals 3. Your GPA would be a 3 according to those grades.

Any more questions ?
    Veny
    Veny
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Veny 2013-05-13, 20:39

A is a failing grade?
    Sanne
    Sanne
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Sanne 2013-05-13, 20:56

Thanks for explaining.

Our highschool here last for 4, 5 or 6 years, only when you do the 6-year course (also the hardest) you can go directly to university. When you do the 5-year course you need to go to a kind of middle school if you want to go to the uni

Well thanks
    Understand
    Understand

Post by Understand 2013-05-13, 22:13

V wrote:A is a failing grade?

"A failing grade." 0-59 is "a failing grade." I did not say A = failing grade. Smile

@Sanne happy to help
    Allen's Slave
    Allen's Slave

Post by Allen's Slave 2013-05-13, 22:27

Inner city schools get poor marks because they have no motivation to learn or do homework, so we throw as much money at the problem as possible because apparently having a new Mac in the classroom is going to incentivize kids to do their homework at home.

/rant.
    InfernoDutch
    InfernoDutch

Post by InfernoDutch 2013-05-13, 23:02

america is easy
    in netherland school rapes you.

the dumbest people in america go university...
    Sponge
    Sponge
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Sponge 2013-05-13, 23:46

Canadian

A=100-86
    B=85-74
    C=73-62
    C-=61-50
    I=50-0

We canadians are to nice to give Ds and Fs thats the one in BC idk bout other provinces
    A World
    A World

Post by A World 2013-05-13, 23:48

Sanne wrote:Thanks for explaining.

Our highschool here last for 4, 5 or 6 years, only when you do the 6-year course (also the hardest) you can go directly to university. When you do the 5-year course you need to go to a kind of middle school if you want to go to the uni

Well thanks
    Im doing the 6 years atm...
    Understand
    Understand

Post by Understand 2013-05-14, 00:22

InfernoDutch wrote:america is easy

Such a broad judgement. I wouldn't say the Netherlands education system "rapes" you. Netherlands is only ranked 5th in the world education system rankings, just 2 spots above the United States. Judging by your diction, I'm afraid the Netherlands education system needs a little more refurbishing right?
    Tunechi
    Tunechi

Post by Tunechi 2013-05-14, 08:46

Kindergarten to 5th Grade is Elementary School (Primary School), 6th grade to 8th grade is known as Middle School, 9th grade to 12th grade is known as High School. There are places in America where Elementary School lasts till 6th grade and only 7th and 8th grade are Middle School.

Source:
    Studied in all three over in the states
    Rand al'Thor
    Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor 2013-05-14, 10:19

Understand wrote:

Such a broad judgement. I wouldn't say the Netherlands education system "rapes" you. Netherlands is only ranked 5th in the world education system rankings, just 2 spots above the United States. Judging by your diction, I'm afraid the Netherlands education system needs a little more refurbishing right?
    Netherlands is ranked 7th and the USA 17th, according to the 2012 Pearson league table.
    Sanne
    Sanne
    Sponsor
    Sponsor

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Sanne 2013-05-14, 13:14

Understand wrote:

The Dutch educational system needs revision as grades are dropping every year, this in combination with an abrogation of the funds for students who attend to the university will lead to a further drop in the rankings. I would be surprised to see the Netherlands still in the top 10 in a couple of years. I'm planning to attend to an university abroad because of this ^^. Maybe just my Masters but still.

Zodz
    Zodz
    General
    General

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 12

Post by Zodz 2013-05-14, 13:44

starting from After highschool (or "grade 12")

You typically get into a university with a GPA better than 3.2 (which is all grades "B" or better 3.0+, or "C" or better 2.0+ if it's an Honors course)

University/college: 12-21 "Credit Hours" per Semester.

1 Course is typically 3 "Credit Hours"

This means you meet for 3 hours per week over a 15 week semester

So if u have 21 hours [ overkilllll no-life student Wink ] then you are probably taking 6 courses, because many courses have "Labs" that give you an extra hour or two.

max GPA is typically still 4.0 [all A's or 100's]

but yeah if you're doing the average like 4 or 5 courses per semester, then you will be in "grade 13", "grade 14" (basic studies are typically finished by now), "grade 15", "grade 16" (You have a Bachelor's Degree here)

Then you can become a "Gradate student" where it will be "Grade 17", "Grade 18" (maybe masters by here... really depends on how much you work) then continue on until you have Doctorate degree

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-06, 20:58